Benefit and Leave Consultant
7100 Harderson Road Everett, WA 98203 US
The Benefit and Leave Consultants manage the benefits and leave programs for the Agency. Under general supervision, they lead the administration, coordination, and support the end-to-end processes of all Agency-wide benefits, retirement, and leave of absence programs with a focus on a positive employee experience, accurate pay, compliance, and continuous program improvement. This includes the administration of each program while ensuring compliance with all agency policies, contracts, collective bargaining agreements, and State and Federal benefit and leave regulations.
In addition, these positions will coordinate with third-party vendors to manage benefit programs and leave and disability administration and will also oversee ADA requests, accommodations, interactive meetings, and work in partnership with other HR Partners on employee matters.
- Serves as subject matter expert on benefits, retirement, leave and ADA matters ensuring program requirements are met. Works closely with the HR Manager on vendor compliance and future planning, revision and communication of Agency benefit and leave programs. Coordinates all aspects of benefit programs and various leave programs and the associated maintenance of absence management and extended absence recordkeeping through various systems (i.e. PeopleSoft, Trapeze,etc).
- Makes decisions in regard to insurance eligibility for status changes and authorizes qualifying events to allow for special open enrollment. Determines eligibility for various leave types requested by employee and provides employees with required notification and documentation. Coordinates the processing of all disability and accommodation claims and works with appropriate benefit and leave partners on all needs.
- Provides benefits and leave of absence consultation, answers questions regarding entitlements and provides information regarding available benefits and appropriate leave options. Counsel’s employees and supervisors concerning qualifications of and use of leave and related employee benefits. Assists employees in finding long term solutions to empower them to have regular and reliable attendance. Promotes the use of health and wellness programs specifically related to employee’s job to promote good health, reduce the risk of injury and improve attendance.
- Documents leave management activities. Ensures data integrity by conducting regular system and payroll audits. Monitors and prepares recommendations for improvement for leave related and ADA workflow enhancement opportunities. Gathers, measures, researches and analyzes benchmark data such as leave and benefit utilization and trends. Effectively communicates data-based recommendations to management designing continuous improvement initiatives and identifying trending statistics.
- Provides direction and oversight with respect to benefit and leave administration, FMLA, Workers Compensation, ADA accommodations and benefit and leave related policies and procedures. Collaborates with employee relations, workers compensation analyst and/or others accommodation in developing return to work strategies or accommodations under the ADA or ADAAA, when necessary.
- Serves as a liaison between agency, vendors, benefit trust, State and federal leave providers and short and long term disability providers. Assists with medical documentation and FMLA Certification and State PFML forms and understands the information contained; may require communication with physician’s office to clarify content.
- Acts as subject matter expert, monitoring state and federal regulations relevant to leave and benefits. Makes recommendations on how to respond to new laws/regulations and other unique circumstances related to employee’s benefit and leave issues.
- Manages content and coordinates benefit orientations for new employees. Ensures accuracy and integrity of benefit and leave records. Provides managers and employees with tools and resources they need in their rights and responsibilities as well as providing them with assistance throughout the leave lifecycle. Coordinates the sick leave donation program and submits requests to Director of Employee Engagement for consideration. Provides information to employees about available benefit and leave options, provisions, troubleshooting and responding to their questions and following up on necessary documentation and communication.
- Maintains and reconciles billing and payment for benefit premiums. Prepares reports and data on benefit enrollment, leave programs used for Agency reporting requirements. Provides oversight to employee relations on the maintenance of employee medical and leave files and records.
1. Bachelor’s degree in business, human resources or related field.
2. Three years of professional experience in human resources which includes at least (2) years’ experience in benefit and/or leave management.
3. Three years of experience performing highly detailed work involving sensitive or privileged information.
An equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above may be considered